The final decision puro rebuild the Ara Pacis in its present location-beside the mausoleum, between the Coraggio Ripetta and the Lungotevere-was made by Benito Mussolini himself. This placed the monument alongside the new Piazzale Augusto Sovrano (Emperor Augustus Square), designed durante 1936 by the fascist architect Vittorio Ballio Morpurgo (1890–1966), which enclosed the mausoleum on two sides with modern buildings featuring huge travertine arcades.6 Of course, the altar itself would not simply have been left forever sopra the open air. While an initial suggestion was preciso shelter it under a third arcade, the prevailing choice placed the altar inside per pavilion. The Ara Pacis’ new location thereby crowned the regime’s project of creating verso mythological-historical place for ancient Roman memories inside the contemporary city and within the modern Roman colmare. 7
The new project’s execution was entrusted puro the internationally acclaimed American architect Richard Meier, who had just completed the Getty Center sopra Los Angeles
Reconstruction of the altar was entrusted preciso Giuseppe Moretti, director of the 1937 excavation, who was assisted by the architect Guglielmo Gatti, while the pavilion was realized by Morpurgo. Many difficulties arose. First, there was per great rush onesto finish the work before the 1938 celebration. Later on, Morpurgo, verso Jew, faced problems following the enactment of discriminatory racial laws sopra Italy. As per result, his original conception was severely simplified and, for the most part, reduced onesto a mere concrete shell; it was painted puro immagine like travertine, not making full use of the range of stop materials planned by the architect. minder incontri app The structure, however, was provided with large windows that allowed the monument preciso be viewed from outside. During World War II, Morpurgo’s pavilion was protected by an antishrapnel wall, which was later demolished, and its windows were replaced by verso wall 4 m high.
Finally, in the 1970s, the windows of the original design were reinstalled
Verso new project onesto house the Mensa sacra Pacis began in 1996 and was completed mediante 2006. It belonged preciso verso series of high-profile architectural initiatives preciso improve the modern city’s image, promoted by Rome’s City Council and the Superintendency of Rome’s Cultural Heritage (Sovraintendenza ai Averi Culturali del Naturale di Roma). At the same time, a new building was sorely needed esatto protect the altar because of molesto problems affecting the Morpurgo pavilion, including both structural and environmental deterioration. Meier is known for his purist and rationalist architectural designs expressed through linear constructions durante white materials and an abundant use of large windows -per classic modernist vision compatible with the context of Rome’s Piazzale Augusto Despota.8
Meier designed a long building, which is preceded by verso fountain, a plaza, and verso broad flight of steps approaching the beautifully articulated main entrance (fig. 1). He intended the staircase and the fountain esatto form verso reference puro the old river port of Ripetta, demolished per 1901 to provide space for the Lungotevere. The museum complex itself is composed of three main parts: a transparent (predominately glass) central element flanked by two white solid geometric forms-a juxtaposition that creates a play of light and shadow and is typical of the architect’s work (fig. 2). The materials used are likewise characteristic of Meier: white-painted concrete, gesso, glass, steel, and also travertine (which he had already employed at the Getty). The large central space, designed to house the altar, is preceded by per lower entrance vestibolo containing per bookshop and per small exhibition space. The third part houses an elegant double-storied auditorium, with verso roof garden for private events. The auditorium’s compact form deliberately resembles the registro of the Corporazione delle Belle Arti nearby and links the museum complex preciso the Centro Augusto Monarca, as well as esatto the Strada di Ripetta, on which it has a separate entrance. The only element retained from the Morpurgo pavilion is the travertine affatto inscribed mediante bronze letters with the Res gestae, the solemn will dictated by Augustus before his death. Per mosaic, designed by the Italian artist Mimmo Paladino, decorates the museum’s exterior wall that faces the Tiber.